everyone you love and
everything you own™
Huron Valley Law Center, PLC
View print version of this page.

Ensuring your family can help when you need it most

Incapacity Planning

Many people think their spouse or children can simply take over the management of their affairs in the event of incapacity. Unfortunately, without proper planning, the legal process associated with taking control of your affairs is anything but simple. To manage your finances, your loved ones must petition a court to declare you legally incapacitated, a process that is long, expensive, stressful and often emotionally devastating for all family members involved. Worse, the court may not appoint the person you would have wanted. And even if it does, the person appointed to act on your behalf may not have the ability or time to handle your finances effectively. Family disputes and ill-will that can last a lifetime are not uncommon in these situations. Fortunately, we can help you to have a proper plan to avoid this difficult situation.

We can also show you ways to ensure your healthcare wishes will be carried out should you become incapacitated. The law permits you to appoint someone you trust, such as a family member or close friend, to get information and to make decisions for you about your medical treatment if you cannot make them yourself. This is particularly important when it comes to the use of extraordinary measures to keep you alive in the event of prolonged unconsciousness or a terminal illness. For more information, call our office for a consultation.

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found. Click here to view prior events.

Huron Valley Law Center, PLC
2850 S. Milford Road
Highland, Michigan 48357
Phone: 248.685.8743
Disclaimer Mobile Website
©2014 Huron Valley Law Center, PLC
All Rights Reserved